Wednesday, March 30, 2005

wow.. what a lunch meeting

How should I start? This story is somehow related to the SK forum that I joined not very long ago. Somehow my resume landed to the mailbox of KHA. After having read some of my postings in SK and my resume, he thought he must help me. (Apparently some big shot see me as someone with 'potential' just through my rambling & the way I think)

For a small fry like me, who's just coming to term with grasping the gist of life out of the comfort zone, it is always overwhelming to meet or to have met, or being associated with the big guns. I was almost shaking at my knees, but I had to keep up with the corporate image, and try to smile as humble as I could, although at times I dont know what the heck these people were talking about.

So AC is level 5? (Huh?! how do I not reveal the 'meijoonised' look when that question is posed to me?) What were they comparing about between Malaysia and India in terms of having CMMI? (luckily I remembered the jargon, and found the answers later thru surfing the net)

Back to why I was having this lunch date, there 2 agenda at the same table, and it was held during lunch, when you're suppose to eat and digest your food. I thought it was KHA's way of killing 3 birds with 1 stone! On one side of the table, he was dealing with some business with party, and on my side, KHA was trying to introduce me to one young CEO of a very promising technology development house which is making its mark overseas instead of locally, due to the niche market.

Actually I still cant believe that guy is younger than his looks. Seriously at only 30 or less than 30 and being CEO of his own profit-making SME, it just amazed me, how he could actually achieve all that impressive result by himself?! Even if he's got mentor or sponsor from other people, still he atleast must have that strong desire and immense capacity to make things work! My admiration goes out to these young technopreneur, my hats off to them.

But in the end, did I meet his eye? No. I was described by him as "too green" and "raw". I lack the experience, and even if came from AC, I wasn't involved with the 'in and out' of the business, which could be beneficial to him. He needed a 'sleek operator'. (halt -- I try so hard not to give him that doh face).

His english already so powderful, what more with all the jargons and technical terms they used. I wonder how could I even achieve half as what he's got in his belt by the time I'm his age?! His advice is for me to take risk, and be willing to do something else or just go ahead to gain more experience, in the industry. He said maybe after 1-2 years more experience, then maybe I'd be more useful to him :(

At that point, I was so tempted to want to brag, and try to convince him that I can do it whatever he wants me to do! But somehow, reality check, I know a guy like him who'd so sure of what he wants, will not buy in what I'm trying to sell which doesn't meet his requirement! A buyer will always have the priviledge to survey, and to choose the best valued product in the market!

If I want to start selling in a niche market, I must be able to stand out and proof to potential buyers its their lost of not buying me! ;P haha, crap on mei joon.

Another underlying question people will ask - what do you want?! Although I've asserted what I want, it is as though people can feel that there is 'more to what I can say I want'. I want to do so many things in my life, there is no ONE thing that I WANT, I just want to try everything, and do anything I like, and my list of interests is probably endless. All subjects in school I like, most channels on TV I watch, camping outdoor or indoor I've tried. Writing, travelling, picturetaking, meeting people and collecting stamps or postcards are my passion. Sports, music, politics, religion, or even finance I have a say.

What could possibly be my next job in line? Mr. KHA even asked if I wanna join the Sun, theStar or NST?! ;-D (in my head, I thought why not tv8 or Ntv7 as newscaster doh). I need to carry on my search for my next path of career, it is like back to square one. Like my astrology-consultant said to me, I'll always be studying. (if you could make sense of that?!).

Maybe I shouldn't think too much, just go with the flow. The flow now is learn Alcatel switch!! Irrrgggshhhhhh.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cheer up MJ,

=t=