Thursday, January 24, 2008

2nd post for the new year

Seems like my post is once or twice a month! That don't mean there were no thoughts in my head to write... many a times, I thought of something to blog about... then few days later, I totally forgot what I'd wanted to blog about!

I was telling myself, if my brain was a CPU ::
-my local harddisc is 40GB with about 5% available disc space left.
-my RAM would be 1GB for running so many thoughts and multitasking.
-my processor speed could be Pentium 1.5Ghz.

Blah... meaning after I waking up from my sleep, I forget what the brain was processing about... hence I must remember to WRITE down... must write it down.

For this new year, I went for my first interview 'of the sort' for transfer from one account to another, because the other account is failing in the "process" part of deployment and they need someone with operational experience. My teamlead recommended me because I'm more 'operation' where as T is more 'technical'. I'm not sure if I should be happy or not because the new account is currently in the infant stage of all these outsourcing processes... and I feel like it sounds like my new jd would be more consulting based than mundane operation / incident remediation.

After having attended the ITIL training, I learnt to see the bigger picture of ALL the IT services management processes. And in my potential new role, I only need to document the end-to-end process for ONE of the process -- release & deployment process.

The challenge is really not the job, I've been thrown into the deep sea by my former company's stupidest jerk boss to develope ALL the process from start to end, that probably covers all 20 processes by ITIL v3 standard. Blahh... so anyway, my teamlead concern is actually whether or not I would like to work with the leads in the new acc, who is known to be.. cocky.

Ah yes... its been a long time since I've last spoken super fast full english at work. Ok I can't speak super fast (due to my short tongue) but I am so used to rojak mix my chinese & english. The 2 guys who interviewed me, one indian who'll be my lead and one chinese bloke my age who's the manager... were trying to out-speedtalk each other the whole time. I wonder is it because they can speak very well in English that's how they got to climb up so fast. My current 30+ lady teamlead (who speak terrible english) actually hint-hint to me, that the new lead hasn't been very productive.

You know I don't like to generalize... but I tend to see the trend that the nonenglish-ed people tend to be very hardworking and quiet and productive at work, whereas english-ed people who can articulate and communicate very well tend to climb up the ladder faster although not having to produce as much hardwork.

I can be both if I want to. I can put in the effort to attend public speaking course, to learn to speak assertively with the big bosses to create more opportunity for myself... or I can also just be my phlegmatic self and not open my mouth.

So the end point is, I will challenge myself, to take on the new 'process' role, working with 2 cocky dudes, and try my best to deliver what they've failed in AND rest assured learn to get credit for that. I see it as a win-win-win situation. I will have something new & valuable to write for my resume, my own company will have the processes in placed for customer, the customer will ultimate gain from value-added IT services (translated to be cost-saving strategy). Remember :: in crisis lies opportunity!

Current teamlead stressed again that its entirely my choice, if I really want, if I really can get along with the arrogance.... I said, if I really cannot tahan after that THEN change job la! Doh...

This short episode have finally made me to update my resume! *phew* it was last updated in 2006... The prophecy wants me to update my resume and to move on from my current boring operational job!

*yawn* what a boring post... love life is good, family is great, friends are fine, health is usual, incovar is moving, apa nak blog lagi?! Aaahh... belum try meditation retreat lagi....

1 comment:

mcc said...

Fullamak....so free 2 blog during office hours.....Cannot even sit still and go online full day...;P
Job function increase then payroll also d same lar....;P