The year 2008 will be closing in. When I minus 2009 with 1979, means I'll be 30! I'm as usual, having contradictory thoughts about what the new year means to me. On one hand I look forward to turning 30! But on the other, due to conditioning from society, we're supposed to dread about turning 30.
I would like to recap about my most eventful year of 2008. The last time that I had a blast that I vividly remember was the year 2004 - when I backpacked Europe in Autumn, travelling under a youth pass (under 26). This year, I'm proud to say, I went to
Kuantan in early Jan (with sayang)
Singapore in Jan (with bgf)
Miri / Mulu / Brunei in end of Feb (with sayang)
Borobudor in June (with bgf)
Singapore (again) in July (with sayang)
Hong Kong / Macao in early Sep (with sayang)
Ladakh (India) in late Sep (with bgf)
Kuching in Nov (with coursemates)
Now you see how this year has really been fabulous if not crazy?! So when I argue with my parents that I have no money, I really mean it. Thanks to all the trips that just came to reality without much planning effort! Considering I love planning...
Each of the trip is unique. The most incredible trip gotta be Ladakh, the land of the extreme (climate). I was simply overwhelmed by the sheer magnitute of the high snow-capped mountain range & cloudless blue sky. But I was also sick whenever the road becomes winding & bumpy, whenever I couldn't take the weird food, when the temperature drops below 10. My life in Malaysia and their life in Ladakh is worlds apart. Like I landed on a different planet, luckily they speak English. Or I'll be speechless & jawsdropping through out my journey in Ladakh.
There's this nice guy call Amchi, he's the herbal medicine doctor serving MIMC. He invited all of us to his house in a faraway village where ven sanghasena was born. He's so warm and always smiling and obliging, and he's like the guy when you walk on the street, everybody know your name! He took around the town, and although we were on a tight schedule, he didn't care! He was laidback and he just talk and talk with all the people he met along the short stroll down the market road. If only the people back home were that humble, charming & friendly... *oh ya he's still single and probably available, if he's not going to become a monk*
Next best trip was Borobudor -- I love history/culture + architecture. I woke up 4am to see the sunrise from atop of Borobudor stupa. 'nuff said.
Since I adore ancient buildings & experience different culture, I actually don't fancy HongKong / Macao. But what the heck, can free stay just go again.
I guess I can relate to nature quite well, the trip to Mulu cave -- the world heritage site, is definitely well worth it. I wouldn't mind going again! The long nature walk & cave climb was actually fun! What more seeing millions of bats circling in the sky... walking into the largest cave passage in the world... seeing the garden of eden... simply awesome. Funny I remember we met Julie and her parents (who speak french only from Canada) right from the start of the trip, when we boarded the plane. We stayed in the same hostel, we see each other during meal time. And I can still see her now when we go attend the MPO concert! :D *thought im getting sien with the orchestra*
I hope this post doesnt sound too braggy, but 2008 is just one of those year in your life that you'll want to remember and appreciate. And being a forgetful person, if I don't recap my wonderful 2008, I'm afraid if I'll lose the memory.
The year 2008, is also the first time I bought a house under my name (sharing with sayang).
The year 2008, is also when I finally quit my job from a vendor company to join end-user company.
The year 2008, is also when it's the last time I became chairperson of idc and finally can breath when another person could take over. I always believe in letting younger / newer person to take over the organising. The younger / newer person may not be better, that's where I realise the opportunity to have training & development. Let there be movement, let there be changes, let there be test, so that we can all know what's the result, what's the impact - negative or positive - if never try, never know!
Being not-so-young, I wish to get involve with more technical IT stuff for the Buddhist community front. In fact training & development sounds good. Its like you don't want to be hands-on running around doing the donkey work, but you want to be supportive, create the platform and opportunity for others to learn to be better. To be indirect driving force to make things happen.. for the bigger picture.
Apart from my own life, of course 2008 has the China Olympic that made history. I have high hopes for China... becos I truly believe in positive thinking. It seems like China represent a nation that defines 'changing for the better in action' or 'nothing is impossible'. You aspire for it, you work for it, you get it. I hope greed don't get in the way, although its easy to fall into the trap of greed.
The 2008 economy, I will have no say. Just waiting for the economy to reach its worst, then start asking people to buy! If its true that property price will drop, then I'll suggest to my bro to grab a title for himself.
Come end of this year, my dad will officially retire... which is good, then he can spend more time with mom, and mom will not get so naggy and there will be peace for me. Ahhhh.... bliss :D *you just don't wanna know how easily my mom can get on my nerves*
2008... many close friends got married, got babies... I just wish that in 2009 my new house will be ready, and who know whats instore?!
May the blessings of the triple gem guide and protect everyone always.
1 comment:
Happy 2009 MJ...........
Post a Comment