Thursday, September 29, 2005

Choleric-Phlegmatic

What a contradicting match. After reading through the Personality Plus book, I realise that maybe I'm not what my personality is, maybe through certain changes that I've now become the different person that I am.

I remember when I first took the test, I scored equally for both choleric and phlegmatic, and I know I've always have contradicting voices inside me. Like I dont know if I should listen to the mind or follow the heart more.

If temperament could change through family upbringing, then I can see why I may have been genetically phlegmatic (following my father), but somehow shifted to be choleric due to my super powerful choleric mother's dominance. When I read through the description of peaceful phlegmatic to my dad, he answered yes to all of it! He thought the book was his fortune teller. Without needing to question my mom, she being born the eldest among 6 siblings in a small town, carrying on her shoulder the responsibility to take care of all her younger siblings from young... she dominates everyone. Even after marrying into my dad's family, she call for CNY gathering or cheng ming or family gathering for all. She takes the cane and whacks her children if they're naughty (ahem, referring to myself lah). Even my cousins are afraid of my mom.

Gathering my understanding of my mom's character, its no surprise that I grow up following her style. Yep.. but its SCARY! I really wish I do not become like her... but I've subconsciously following suit.

If like I refer to this article, where Choleric is fire and Phlegmatic is water, yeah... they're opposite. Thinking of my mom reminds me of fire, where her flame is so strong, its just amazing how patient my phlegmatic father has been.

Right now, I probably have to learn to strike a balance between both extremes. Maybe I should learn to apply the strenght from both world... and contra off the weaknesses from both side... by then... there will be no personality! Geez! Basically, I'm just me.

No comments: