Saturday, June 18, 2005

If I was not adaptable...

I wouldn't understand my new boss, MD. The way he talks, the way he walks... just oh my gossh. Already having a strong Chinese-accent in his English, he walks like a robot, shoulders and spine straight, hands swinging side to side, AND need I mention the hair thingy that stuck out from the mole at the chin, that make him looks like a feng-shui master wannabe?!

He is the man with this big vision of driving his small company to international standard. I am overwhelmed by his attitude and ambition. But I also know that if I were more judgemental towards him, I feel like slapping him and say "give yourself a break!". Is it because I was too complacent in my old working culture? The culture here is really different.

Back then in big A, nobody give a damn about what I'm doing, probably due to the fact that I'm just on contract. They do have "career counsellors" but it doesn't really work well within the organisation, but if you keep in touch with the managers, they do 'bring' you along to wherever they get headhunted to. That's what I see. Even now, infact last night, I was flattered that my 1st manager in big A sms me to ask if I've found a job. Of ALL the time, he ask me this question when I've already FOUND a permanent job that I've decided to stick with.

It has gotta do with my versatile or adaptable attitude, that I know I can fit in anywhere. I can speak English with the most British accent bloke, I can revert to Mandarin and talk like a genuine Chinese-ed girl.

Point is, my 1st manager from big A, Jaya is totally cool. He speaks abt mp3 and cars and even investments with his staff. He loves Jazz and oldies. He's a good "consultant", infact so good he got headhunted to another big local company to head the entire Strategy & Development team.

My new boss, MD. He didn't even grad from a university. He speaks of honesty and integrity but he's not entirely "open" to me, saying that field-engineers type of people like me, shouldn't know the "secret" inside the R&D team. So they're all having a 'locked-door' meeting now within the team. And I'm alone here, waiting for strike 1pm before i fly to KLCC to watch Star Wars!

My old working environment is very care-free, nobody care for me, I care for nobody. As and when we chat, we just chat about all sort of crap, even with the management. In fact even with client, our relationship was close. Maybe due to the fact that it was a slow-pace public section culture.

New company does gives me the creep. The way they're so obsessed with the drive and determination to "achieve" it! It's like history in the making... hmmm remember Adolf Hitler?! Haha.. the point is, I want to see "how far" can this discipline-minded Chinese boss can go with his type of philosophy and motivation. I do not know where he comes from, what is his background, and why is he trying to work so hard for the aggresive progression of his company. For the stake-holders who'd given their trust in him?! What is he trying to prove to the world? Is it for himself or for the company that he wants to show?

I know I STILL can stand him, and put up with the way he's pushing me and the entire firm. Even his fellow big technical boss gets direct comments from him, i.e. "when you present something, you must speak clearly, stand in front blah blah blah... "

Many a times, he'd correct the way I talk, even the way I sit on a chair! How my back should be straight, and the words that I should use. DOHHHHHhhhhhh..... If only I could DOHHHHhh him right infront of his face.

Here is a good place for me to observe, the change of environment, the change of attitude, the change for improvements in whatever ways. I still get the exposure of a MNC culture, when I get sent to big-client site for CA support. I.e. I'm sent to CSA-CSC, providing global outsourcing servicing to very big companies. But the culture there is quite laidback, feels like the time when I used to be, kick-back relax and mind my own business.

I will rush for the StarWars movie now. I dont give a shit at the end of day what my new boss ask of me, but up to a certain extend I will produce the result. Yes I can become the next consultant for his up & coming company, but on what price to pay?

The purpose of life, is a life of purpose. That's my point.

No comments: