If there's anyone who'd really want my perception of Christianity, but not ready to hear me, do not read.
Just that, somehow things happens, you can see, you are aware, but we choose to ignore.
Ignore the fact that Christians, no different from Muslims are one of a kind. They think their religion is correct, their way do not allow them to bend their rules / ideas / practices.
Eg. a Muslim cannot eat pork, not even touch, or else you're not pure. They cant even 'look' at the picture of the ugly pigglings. Yet, we live in a plural society where there's pork/non-pork eaters everywhere. The pork eaters will be viewed as ridiculous in the eyes of one-of-a-kind Muslims.
Last night, I attended an elaborate Chinese funeral 'show' for my distant aunty. Most of the children/grandchildren were following the Chinese-sifu doing all the ridiculous rituals. But the 2nd son & family, who are Christians just sat at the side, watch and laugh. The other daughter of Catholic faith, also did not join.
By joining the ceremony of your own Teochew culture / tradition, does not make you less of a slave to the English-speaking-God, does not make you less of a gweilo-Jesus believer.
Are all the Chinese Christians in the world going to abandon their Chinese Culture? Worst still do they think that it IS ridiculous in the eyes of their LORD?
For me, I do not know a WORD the Teochew-opera-show is telling, but I know this would probably be my last chance to 'witness' such a typical traditional funeral ceremony in this 'modern' society.
I just wonder how nice if all other one-of-a-kind religious people could be less uptight. I'm not a Muslim, but in school we've always been following the Islam prayer everyday. Every other christian-style-funeral, I just sing along the praises of Chris Lord together with them, and sometimes I have to listen to their pastor preaching too.
Maybe I am one-of-a-kind Buddhist too, to the people on the other side.
3 comments:
lol.
i have an uncle who is like this also. he stopped giving out ang pao during CNY. damnit.
and he also stopped eating those food that we used to pray. funny how some ppl go to the extreme.
one of my sis converted to christianity too, and she still gives out ang pao during CNY..and she actually joins in the celebration as well.
and best of all is that...during one of our family dinner, he actually talks about Jesus to my grandmother... lol... and my grandmother was like.. "........" speechless...
Well, don't like going to funerals... but hey that son not rite ! is was his mum funeral... if dont join should respect la!
Post a Comment