Friday, June 29, 2007

Jack of all trade

When I was called up by a photographer if I'm interested to be 2nd photographer where he dont mind training me, but I must atleast have a EOS400D... and my 1st assignment was to a vihara wedding registration do on Saturday afternoon...

In my mind, I just thought, whoaah... is this gonna be serious? Me becoming 2nd photographer? Me getting paid for just taking pictures for people (doing things that I like & earn $ for it)?

Well, here I am sitting in my IT desk, working as operation technical support, specifically dealing with CA product, there I have a bigger life outside work -- volunteer as teacher for sunday school, coordinating Buddhist youth events, learning about market trend & understanding indepth how funds work, taking care of investors' fund performance, barely surviving at home helping my relatives as internet-down troubleshooter / driver / babysitter / airasia or hotel booker... what am I Jack of all trade?!

I was described as a generalist than a specialist by somebody. Even in IT field, I think it'll be really boring if I end up being a specialist in just one technical aspect. But a technical specialist can demand more pay and probably work in a more stable environment *yawn boring*. I wish I can learn more about management, and learn how to deal with people of all level. I like to talk, yet not so confident in talking too much. I like to think, but somewhat lazy to think of genius ways to add value to cinepek company.

I like music, I like culture, I like travelling, I like taking pictures, I like to learn, I like to talk, I like to invest, I like to dream, I like to spend time with people I love, I like to help, I like to plan, I like to inspire, I like to have fun...

There's so many things I like to do or I'm getting myself into doing where time and $ permits... should I narrow down the spectrum of my interests and just be more focus in my doings in life?

I find this Jack of all trade vs specialization article interesting read.

No comments: