Before I take the time to blog about the 'yeo-ah-yeo wonderful camp', I wish pen this down to remind myself, that each time when faced with adversity esp in my worklife -- be humble. I had this opportunity to meet up with a brave young girl suffering from celebral palsy, a USM graduate and a finalist for a reality-tv show on tv9 for disabled people in the country. She's currently teaching computer-skills to children at the Penang Spastic Centre.
I felt so overwhelmed when she told me that she was from the Science stream in her STPM. Something which I didnt do. I'll never know how difficult STPM science stream is like, for I was so 'lucky' to get into a degree course thru a 1-year diploma (way too inferior for STPM standard).
She graduated with a degree in social science, and she can speak fluent English very slowly. She takes her time to walk and write. Mentally she's just like any other young lady who have goals in life and have wishes waiting to be realised.
When I first met her at the hotel room where she was staying (Sunday night), she was alone. As she opened the door and tried to step back she almost lost her balance. It was the first time I saw her and I felt a lil silly myself for not understanding a disabled person better.
When I arrived at the lobby, I called her to come down to go for a drink but she talked me into coming up to the room first. Only after meeting her for the first time did I realise how foolish I was: for her to walk all the way from her room to the lift, and press the button by herself, and coming out from the lift slowly and walking all the way through the lobby hall.... its gonna be very challenging for her. Anyway, I didn't ask further about going out for a drink, just being there in the hotel room and getting to know her better... has impacted my attitude towards life (for the time being.. until I lose my memory of this rare moment).
I've always being a spoilt only daughter, I yell at my dad and argue with mom at home. I conveniently get other people to do things for me even for the simplest thing like getting a ribena to drink. I'm not disable and I do not have a speech problem but I took things for granted. I complain that I have 'siu-yan' at work and I never send any love towards my colleagues.
I must be humble. If I were to speak like a God-believer I'd say that God created a few special people on this earth to touch our heart and to teach us to be grateful, caring and happy.
2 comments:
LIFE has never let US down. Just LEARN to LOVE. That's all.
Very touching..Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment