Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Finally something to blog

Well, nothing new happened, except today, at work my teamlead went on MC and there was a conference call at 4.30pm and a counterpart in Singapore knew I could sit in for her.

So, here's my chance to show (not that there's anything much to say, if you really have NO idea who are these people anyway), so I just hanged on to the receiver (gosh, now I see how wonderful a headset would be) just listening to how one Singaporean cili-padi ladyboss trying to fry another cina-apek singaporean person-in-charge for many things.

How is Malaysia in the picture? Most of the boring low-level positions can be found here, while the Singaporeans deal with the big client directly or the big boss in USA. Still... why should you be screaming on top of your lungs on the telephone?!? Not that I did anything wrong, I was trying as hard to defend my teamlead (if the need arise), but I didn't know how 'hot' is the cili-padi when I've not tasted it.

And if only every different group are seeing eye to eye, and see the whole point together as single big set, then the cili-padi wont be jumping around with such a high pitch. For a moment, I really felt 'frozen', wow... cannot imagine I could feel 'afraid' of people... I guess you just have to learn to speak up as clearly and fluently as possible, minus the "urrrhh.. urrmrm.. urrr" as much as possible. Giving an answer that starts with "That depends..." and try to tai-chi.

But at the end of the day, if people are out to tai-chi, and saving their own ass, what is this cili-padi is trying to prove / show? Maybe if I were her, I would understand her position better. And it's all interesting... the way a high-in-power lady lash it away on all the guys... : P haha... haiya, the last thing I want is to get tongue tied when being confronted, as I could be sly when situation requires.

A note of warning to myself, I do not know "when" is a "situation" to be sly, as I'm kinda bad at judging people. Who ass should I be helping to cover? Of course my own first of all, but I'm already doing my best that I personally could, to perform. But it's gonna be 'too much' if I try to outperform others?

I guess its just best if I just be me. I could still smile with you infront of you and not laugh at you behind your back. Like, when a 'teamlead' from another team would come asking me how to 'rename a zip file'. On impulse, I would 'DOH' but at work... *phew... controlling my 'Doh' :)

I wonder if there would ever be a chance, when I can tell nicely to the cili-padi "why do you have to shout?".

Let me paint a scene, a manager, E from another team was on his mobile with cili-padi, on questions concerning my team, by right my teamlead will answer, but she's on MC today. So that manager E came to ask if I could answer those questions... so said "...ooook.."

There she goes yakking so high pitch on the phone, and that's when I realise my fingers were stiff! I could answer up to my capacity, but when I said "because E said so..."

BAMMM!! The voice on the phone shouted back "is E in the same room, can I kill him?!"

Then I said quickly "oh yes, wait" and I passed the mobile back to E for him to continue...

hahaha... one term I learnt from another colleague, that some people here can be hyper-critical, now I'm getting it.

*phew... no wonder the enter Server team is always talking so loudly... think our team will learn to make "sound"?

But that it would be quite embarassing for me to talk loudly on the phone, esp when I'm conversing in MANDARIN with the China / Taiwan user.. my phone hand will be moving, trying to express the words that wouldn't come out in Chinese.

I just learnt whats "restart" and what's "process"... wait.. I forgot! Bummer.... but I do appreciate how some engineers are REALLY patient with me, speaking so slowly in Chinese.

It's a different story talking to a 'mat salleh' filehfelleh... I also filehfeleh with them... and 'mat salleh' always sounded more chirpy or high spirited!

Ahh... talk so much... for what! If only they'd hire me asap and see how 'valuable' I am for them... not many can troubleshoot can dual-language! Hahah.. BRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr... i hav a due date for the stupid process documentation for my OTHER employer boss.

Cross my fingers... I'm beginning to join 'conference call' meetings with the bosses! :) cool...