Monday, April 17, 2006

Hunger, Desire, Dream to be Successful in Malaysian context

This dilemma (I dunno what you call it) has been playing in my head since coming out to work. I've been 'brainwashed' or so to speak from Sunday School upbringing about the 3 Characteris of the Universe (and all things Buddhistic) which spells Dukka, Anicca & Anatta.

I understood the Buddhist perspective of Dukkha just as how Christians appreciate life and love God. Nothing could really make me feel so bad that could lead me to depression or make me hurt myself. I could even see beyond this life, and hope one day I could breakfree from this realm of Samsara.

From this point, I have to link back to Alex Tan's teaching on "Attitude". I have the knowledge of Dhamma, I know it is good, but am I practising / working on it? Have even attempt to join a Meditation retreat or practise mindfulness in my everytime?

Back to the dilemma on how to be successful, where by in the Malaysian context means $$$. Everytime when I attend a business opportunity meeting with any MLM company or even in my UT motivational training last Saturday, they driving message is always to dream, to set goals, to have desire, to be hungry for MORE $$$$ in the near future.

I was told that the highest paying job is to be a salesman. But a salesman is also the lowest paying job, IF I'm lazy. NOW this tie back to my "ATTITUDE". Although I have strong interest in business-finance, although I wish to be my own boss, although I really hope to be at least financially sound... I have this big attitude problem holding me back from pushing myself harder / further / better.

At the end of the day, I am always contradicting myself. I join the sales line but I dont have the desire / hunger to meet high target. I'm already satisfied with my life at this instant, how in the world do I find the 'hunger' or the 'desire' to succeed?

Gossh.. now no wonder in my right palm, I cannot see the 'career' line. There's only 3 lines on my palm : Heart, Head & Life. Of course scientifically you will not give a **** about what's ON my hand, even INCOVAR had preached "Destiny Lies IN Your Hand, Not ON Your Hand". What if did not choose to write the story of my life?

Another issue that I couldn't figure out is how can I be a Buddhist yet have strong desire / hungry for success or money? A friend of mine has the 'hunger' to drive her in her insurance selling, to provide to her family a much better life a head. Me? My parents are ALREADY satisfied with their lives. My parents has no worries for me. My parents suka-suka go here, or go there holiday. I know that even if I couldn't afford to sponsor both of them for vacation every year, its still OK!

In last Saturday's training, they asked me to find my sales-target. After doing my personal need-analysis, my own sales target is only RM10k per year. Which is SOOOOOOO doh. One of the trainer said 'its too little, you do or dont do no problem'.

There's also another silly issue with doing sales -- Just Do It, dont ask!

Well, according to them, I must be "teachable" and willing to learn. Great, I am willing to learn but I couldn't really agree with "dont ask". It really suit my brother, where he is hardcore A*M*Y where he download everything from his uplines and do exactly what they teach him, no questions asked. He works hard everynight, meeting potential customers, attend meetings or training, going for seminar and conventions.

Sometimes, it seemed like I'm "giving excuse" to myself, but am I really such a "lazy" person? So laziness it is, the obstacle stopping me from striving harder to reach financial freedom! (it is not?)

I wonder if it is even OK if I do not have a dream now. Without a dream will probably annoy other people with different perspective. Now it seems I'm ranting no where, shall sign off.

Cheerios!

6 comments:

Aaron Tan said...

you are definitely not lazy! perhaps you are contented with what you have now and what you are doing now. that is why you didn't manage to maximise your capability.

imho, i think you have the wrong perception of what is buddhism. i believe in buddhism, it didn't teach us not to be successful. it didn't restrict us from making more in our life.

ppl like Bro Wei Chuan Beng, they have desire to earn more money, and become successful, and he is still a buddhist! Datuk is a high rank gahmen officer also ma...successful and taking home high salary..and he's the chairman of BGF..

buddhism is just a way of living. living right. living simple. but some ppl took it to the extreme, and they thought that being a buddhist must be simple, must not have desire. everything must be moderate. But it depends on what desire you are desiring.

desire/hunger for success is not wrong. but lustful desire, bad desire, negative desire, hate desire...are bad and wrong!

buddhism is about walking the middle path, and doing good, avoid evil. and do you now that, the more successful you are, the more you can reach out and help the others?!

just like Islam. Islam is a very progressive religion, and not as extreme as Osama portray! And if you take not, in history, the Islam were one of the pioneers scientist, and discoverer. All those sheikh sheikh guys, some are damn good doctors. up there with ppl like michaelangelo...

maybe you should re-understood the meaning of buddhism, the dhamma.

being contented is one of the most dangerous thing ever to happen to anyone. show me someone who is contented, and i'll show you a loser. when you are contented, you tend to sit back, and just do what you are doing now, as long as it's enough for you to survive. but you gotta prepare an umbrella before it rains ma...

hey, btw, jet li is a movie star, and he's making tonnes of $$$. he is still a buddhist! so is roberto baggio!

besides, INCOVAR is promoting a contemporary buddhism concept. this is an ever shifting universe (by Daniel) hehe...the world changes constantly, and buddhism changes too..according to time...2500 years ago, most of the buddhist are monks. 2500 years later..that's now..you are a buddhist, are you a monk?

we couldn't afford to be too extreme if we are to promote INCOVAR, and to make INCOVAR more attractive to youngsters!

we can blend life, the buddhism way, with success in what we are doing and monetary terms.

MJ said...

Success Tan!! Wahlauegh.. such a long reply.

I think the point of my version of 'successful' is really to achieve financial independance. Where by you live on residual income. You dont have to work also you have $$$ to do all the things you want, and you're debt free. No car loan, no house loan, no study loan to pay.

To strive hard and be successful in my "job", well I'm not too slack in that, never underperform.

Is becoming a 'monk' considered 'too extreme'? If buddhism is about walking the middle path, it also mean to live a balance and moderate life. And being 'contented' also means a way of living, living simple.

I dont need to drive a BMW, I dont have the desire to live in a bungalow, I dont understand why people wear branded clothes, I never really envy rich people!

I continue workhard striving and gaining knowledge just for passion / interest sake, continue being happy for any circumstances... and no worries... isn't that what most people are wishing for?

For the record, I think any tom dick and harry can call themselves buddhist anyway.

oh and yes, I do have the idea that I should become a nun if I'm not married by 40.

Anonymous said...

ok..gotcha...

my point of success is rather general...in general..be it success at work, financial, or anything that you do...sports..bla bla bla...

nolar...being a monk is not extreme..hehe..maybe i used the wrong words liao...hmmm....

lol..i'd thought of monkhood also..at some later stage of my life..i'm quite interested in joining the monkhood course in Sasanarakha...but..cannot take too long leave from work...

Anonymous said...

you see...i'm a buddhist..and i've been thru some kind of ceremony..something like baptism in Christian...

but what i see in majority buddhists is that...they tend to be contented with what they have now..

i'm not sure if I'm right or wrong..but...buddhist tend to think that they must be happy with what they have now..and shouldn't crave for more..because craving is no good...

actually i know i'm wrong lah...hehehe...cause a lot of ppl have dreams...and have their own ambitions also...they don't show it doesn't mean they don't have it...

la la la la la la la...

*steady poon pee pee*

Nee Sern said...

Don't let others define for you what CONTENTMENT means.

For me, contentment means never having to worry about anything in life. So I will have to work myself toward achieving this goal.

If it means not having to worry about money, then I have to build my assets and reduce my liabilities.

If it means not having to worry about losing my job, I should build up my strengths in this company so that during any retrenchment periods, my company still would like to keep me around.

If it means not having to worry about unpredictable calamities, I should build a financial portfolio that includes savings, protection and investment.

For a monk, it means never having to worry about worldly and mundane stuff, and to concentrate on spiritual development.

So, contentment means different things to different people.

What does it mean to you, MJ?

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Dvd players on ebay Internet marketing services uk 3 washing a penis t mobile blackberry 7100t International paper dental plans employees Butalbital addiction rhinoplasty surgeons in ontario canada Towel beach chair cartouches d &aposencre et toners laser pour imprimantes dunlop motorcycle tires 491